Steinberg's Efforts to Revamp California Water Policy Thwarted
| 12/12/2009--Broad Coalition Protects the Delta |
Restore the Delta volunteers, friends, and supporters, heard the calls last week and worked diligently to help stop the inadequate Delta policy package and bond bill developed in back door negotiations between Senate President pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, a handful of non-Delta legislators, the Metropolitan Water District, Westlands Water District, and a few corporate environmental organizations who have chosen to ignore Delta fishery representatives and Delta communities.
The policy package was withdrawn from consideration late Friday night by proponent Assembly Member Jared Huffman, while Restore the Delta supporters and friends from other environmental organizations were meeting with legislators throughout the Capitol. It is also our understanding that at the same time Senator Steinberg could simply not pull together adequate support for the bond bill.
Before we launch into our long lists of thanks and praise for all who contributed to this effort, we must remember that this is simply a brief respite in what will prove to be a long and drawn out political process. That is why in the days ahead Restore the Delta will be making a series of announcements as to what we must see included in future legislative efforts to restore the Delta.
We are thankful to the over 1000 supporters who sent letters and made calls this last week. You are what this movement is all about. We are grateful to the following supporters, friends, and colleagues for all that they have done to help during this summer's extended campaign effort. It is an honor to work with all of you.
(List is in random order. And we may miss a few people here. Mea culpa in advance.)
Jane Wagner-Tyack, Jessica Iniquez, Margot Tyack, Russ Fisher, Mike Robinson, Roger Mammon, Bob Ferguson, Rogene Reynolds, Barbara Daly, Kim Glassard, Bill Jennings, Jerry Neuberger, Gary Adams, Mike ? from California Striped Bass, Roger from Organic Sacramento, David Scatena, Dave Hurley, Assembly Member Mariko Yamada, Assembly Member Joan Buchanan, Senator Mike Machado (ret), John Herrick, John Banks, Brett Baker, Dante Nomellini Sr., Dan Nomellini Jr., Debbie Davis, Jim Metropulos, Charlotte Hodde, Steve Evans, Jennifer Clary, David Nesmith, Michael Jackson, Tom Zuckerman, Dino Cortopassi, Klein Family Farms, Jarred Foster, Bill Wells, Dave Cobb, Norma Cobb, Tim Neuharth, Bruce Connelly, Larry Collins, Lieutenant Governor Mike Hudson, Marc Franko, Izzy Martin, Assembly Member Bill Berryhill, Senator Mark DeSaulnier, Robert Johnson, Dan Bacher, Rudy Mussi, Mindy McIntyre, Jonas Minton, Susan Treabess, Kathryn Gray, Joseph Gray, all our donors, Mantelli Brothers, Speckman Family Farmers, Ridge Tract Farms, Assembly Member Alyson Huber. And a special, special thanks to the "Defender of the Delta," Senator Lois Wolk!
May you all rest, play, rejoice, and prepare for what's next.
ConnectingCalifornia.org: For more places to hike, climb and explore, and Trails within 15 minutes of every California home and workplace. OUR GOAL: Connecting California with 1000 Miles of Parks, not 500 miles of Continuous Concrete Sprawl, with permanently preserved farmland greenbelts around every major city, with connected open space rings that link the entire state together. Think it'll never happen? It already is. Read the success stories on our website!
Indexed News on:
--the California "Mega-Park" Project
--the California "Mega-Park" Project
Tracking measurable success on preserving and connecting California's Parks & Wildlife Corridors
Monday, September 14, 2009
Water Hogs will not be fed this time...
Posted by Rex Frankel at 10:43 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
VISIONS, HISTORY AND RESEARCH:
- VISIONS OF CONNECTED OPEN SPACES
- 9/2007 NEW PARKS SINCE 2000
- 12/2015 UPDATE: Websites of All California Land-Saving Groups
- NORTH COAST-NEW PARKS 2000-2011
- SF BAY--NEW PARKS 2000-2011
- CENTRAL COAST--NEW PARKS 2000-2011
- SIERRA NEVADA/CENTRAL VALLEY--NEW PARKS 2000-2011
- LOS ANGELES COUNTY & SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS--NEW PARKS 2000-2011
- SO-CAL--NEW PARKS 2000-2011
- STATEWIDE LAND PRESERVATION ISSUES AND GROUPS
- CA LAND TRUSTS SUMMARY 10-10-2017
- CA Wildlife Board Purchases 2000 to 2017
- All State Agency Land Purchase from 2000-01 to 2017-11
- 2012-12-02 CA Park purchases summary
L.A.-So. Cal-Desert Blogs
One Billion Dollars5 weeks ago
MASSIVE HIKES LIST10 months ago
Rex's Photo Albums5 years ago
New Anza Borrego Desert Tribute Site7 years ago
Time for the Animals7 years ago
SF Bay blogs:
A Hike for Late-Season Wildflowers5 years ago
Central Coast blogs:
Central Valley-Sierra Nevada blogs:
Northern Calif. blogs:
The Marina Center is Dead9 years ago
Assorted California Enviro blogs:
E-Mail the editor:
rexfrankel at yahoo.com
- ► 2012 (22)
- ► 2011 (57)
- ► 2010 (133)
- Tejon condor concreting will be decided this Monda...
- Headwaters Forest Dealings not over yet...
- Oct. 2009 Nat-Geo Walks the Redwood Coast...
- PArks Linkage Bill proposed in east Mojave desert...
- 20,000 Acres may become public's in Orange County...
- Wind Power v. Wildlife in the Southern Sierras?...
- Water Hogs will not be fed this time...
- Sept 10 is First Big Hearing on Tejon development...
- A National Park at Pinnacles in Monterey?
- Muir Heritage Land Trust celebrates 20th anniversa...
- Suit filed over Riverside Co. Habitat relocation...
- Ambrosia gets federal protection in So-Cal...
- Suit over San Diego butterfly habitat...
- 772 Acres of Farmland saved in Marin...
- Statewide Trails Progress Report is out...
- $54 Billion Water Deal for Developers proposed by ...
- The Long Arm of Newhall Land reaches north...
- Feds May Help Out East L.A.County Wildlife Corrido...
- Developers still eager for bite out of Sierra Vall...
- Sierra Clearcutter backs off after being sued...
- Utilities Pull Plug on Shasta to SF mega power line
- 756 acres given by gold miners to feds in Lassen...
- Lots of Wind energy proposals in Lassen County...
- New Digital maps of Calif. wildlands are online...
- Trail Finished in Foothills east of Sacramento...
- Adding lands to Joshua Tree National Park...
- Time Lapse Videos of L.A. Brushfires
- ▼ September (27)
- ► 2008 (337)
Quick-Search of Subjects on the Site
- Alameda (13)
- Alpine County (6)
- Amador (5)
- Baldwin Hills (4)
- Ballona (4)
- Big Sur (3)
- Blue Ridge-Berryessa Natural Area (17)
- Bolsa Chica Wetlands (1)
- Butte County (7)
- Calaveras (14)
- California Land Preservation (18)
- Carrizo Plain (6)
- Chino Hills (5)
- Claremont (1)
- Clean Water Act (7)
- Cleveland National Forest (1)
- Clover Valley (6)
- Coachella Valley (4)
- Coastal Conservancy (43)
- Colusa County (2)
- contra costa (42)
- Del Norte (12)
- desert protection (50)
- East L.A. Hills (10)
- El Dorado (23)
- Endangered Species (27)
- Environmental Laws (24)
- Federal Lands (12)
- Forests and logging (4)
- Fresno (19)
- Glenn County (3)
- Humboldt (88)
- Humboldt Bay (2)
- Imperial (7)
- inyo (12)
- Kern (58)
- Kings (1)
- Klamath River (9)
- Lake County (11)
- Lake Shasta (2)
- Lake Tahoe (4)
- Lassen County (11)
- Lassen Foothills (3)
- Los Angeles (153)
- Madera (8)
- Maps of open spaces (5)
- Marin (24)
- Mariposa (3)
- Mendocino (47)
- Merced (9)
- Modoc (1)
- Mono (15)
- Mono Lake (2)
- Monterey (34)
- Mount Hamilton project (4)
- Mount Whitney (2)
- Napa (28)
- Nevada County (17)
- Newhall Ranch (7)
- North Coast (12)
- Nuclear power (2)
- oak trees (3)
- off-road parks (1)
- Onyx Ranch (6)
- Orange (49)
- Pacific Lumber (36)
- Palm Springs (1)
- Passenger Rail Revival (9)
- Pebble Beach (1)
- Pinnacles National Monument (2)
- Placer (35)
- Plumas (11)
- Population Growth (5)
- prescriptive easements (1)
- Quay Valley Ranch (1)
- Rex Frankel (35)
- River Restoration (7)
- Riverside (63)
- Rocketdyne (2)
- Sacramento (7)
- Sacramento River (5)
- Salton Sea (2)
- San Benito (9)
- San Bernardino (33)
- San Diego (75)
- San Francisco Bay (28)
- San Francisco city and county (8)
- San Gabriel Mountains Foothills (16)
- San Jacinto River (1)
- San Joaquin Valley (2)
- San Luis Obispo (39)
- san mateo (35)
- Santa Barbara (34)
- santa clara (31)
- Santa Clara River (14)
- Santa Cruz (22)
- Santa Monica Mountains (56)
- Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy-MRCA (74)
- Santa Susana Mountains (13)
- Send 'em your cash (1)
- Shasta County (11)
- Sierra County (27)
- Sierra Pacific Industries (9)
- Simi Hills (6)
- Siskiyou (17)
- Solano (18)
- Solar Power (12)
- Sonoma (49)
- Stanislaus (7)
- stormwater pollution cleanup (5)
- Sutter County (4)
- TANC power line proposal--Sacramento River Valley (2)
- Tehama (16)
- Tejon Ranch (48)
- Toll Roads (16)
- Trails (3)
- Treatment Wetlands (2)
- Trinity county (5)
- Truckee River (1)
- Tulare (14)
- Tulare Lake Basin (2)
- Tuolumne (6)
- Urban Growth Boundaries (7)
- Ventura (56)
- Verdugo Mountains (5)
- Water (67)
- Westlands Water District (7)
- Whittier-Chino Hills Wildlife Corridor (14)
- Wildfires (1)
- Wildflowers (1)
- Wildlife Conservation Board (54)
- Wildlife Crossings over/under highways (1)
- Yolo (15)
- Yolo Bypass (2)
- yuba county (12)
- Zero waste--Don't just reduce (3)
Post a Comment